1000 Next Steps toward God and Neighbor
From September 1, 2018 to May 31, 2019 we are encouraging the people of Voyage Church to take 1,000 Next Steps Toward God and Neigbor. Our mission at Voyage Church is to Live the Love, and part of that mission is our vision, which is "helping people take their Next Step with God." We invite you on this journey with us as we take 1,000 Next Steps toward God and Neighbor in the upcoming year!
Why are we doing this 1,000 Next Steps?
To have a specific, measurable, attainable, relvant, timed (SMART) goal that will encourage everyone to grow intentionally in their faith. It is hoped that doing this together will create momentum and focus in all our lives.
Not sure where to start? Try one of these Next Steps.
- Pray a breath prayer. Try repeating one of these throughout the day as you take a deep breath: "Increase my faith." "God is love." "Your will be done."
- Mark your calendar. Set aside time in your schedule to read or listen to the Bible. Where to read? Use the Voyage bookmark or find a Bible reading plan.
- Worship. Make going to a worship gathering a priority every week. Grow weekly in faith and community.
- Get involved in an ImpactGroup. Reaching out is easier to do together. We are better together.
- Practice hospitality. Intentionally invite someone out (or over) for coffee, a meal, or dessert.
- Ask God. Simply pray for God to direct you and give you courage in reaching out to others. He will.
Next Step - An intentional, personal step of faith. Any step of faith that requires you to rely less on self and more on God. Any step that is an effort to show love to your neighbor. It could involve doing something totally new, or doing something with a new attitude or approach. The key is trusting in God, stepping out of your comfort zone, and moving forward.
God - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. God is Love. "God showed his love for us in this: while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" (Romans 5:8). The Holy Spirit is God's Spirit which lives inside of us and empowers us as we believe in and follow Jesus Christ.
Neighbor - A human being. We think in 3 categories of neighbors:
- Family and Friends - those we do life with
- Geographic - those we do life near
- Work/School/Play - those we do life alongside
Frequently Asked Questions
My step was small. Does it count?
Yes! "Who dares despise the day of small things?" (Zechariah 4:10). By celebrating every step in the right direction, we encourage our progress.
What if I took some steps forward, but now I have taken steps backward?
You're normal. The key is to recognize the backward steps, ask forgiveness from God, and accept that God does forgive you and love you. Ask God to help you move forward in your Next Step.
How do I share my Next Step so it gets counted?
Simply fill out a "Next Step Card" electronically below, or on our Voyage app. You can also physically complete a card in the worship center during our worship gatherings. If you are willing to share your Next Step with others via video, please indicate that on the form below or using the checkbox on the Next Step card.
1000 Next Steps Counter
Check out our progress so far! Remember, the Goal is to hit 1,000 Next Steps by May 30, 2019!